view counter
 
view counter
 
 

Purse Hike For WEG Standardbreds

Woodbine-Racetrack-(Front).jpg

Published: February 14, 2011 12:11 pm ET

Last Comment: February 15, 2011 2:10 am ET | 1 Comment(s) | Jump to Comments

On Monday, February 14, the Woodbine Entertainment Group and the Central Ontario Standardbred Association announced that effective Thursday, February 17, standardbred purses at Woodbine Racetrack and Mohawk Racetrack will be raised.

The increase is largely a result of improved wagering numbers in the second half of 2010, in addition to fewer races conducted than budgeted as a result of horse supply.

"Business stabilized after the return to Mohawk last year and increased exposure for our product in the U.S., so the year-end numbers were better than originally forecast," said WEG Vice-President of Standardbred Racing Bruce Murray, on behalf of the WEG-COSA partnership. "The Guaranteed Starter Bonus recently implemented on a trial basis at Woodbine, in which $300 is offered to starters that finish from sixth to last, is included in the purse increase."

After two purse increases in 2008, WEG purses were forced to be reduced on April 1, 2010 after a general softening of the standardbred wagering market. The move this year to a four-night per-week racing schedule at Woodbine (versus five in 2010) has resulted in increased field size, improved horse quality, and thus far been effective in raising average handle.

(WEG)

Related Stories

Guaranteed Starter Bonus Pilot Approved
Murray On Proposed Pilot Program
WEG Pitches Guaranteed Starter Bonus

February 15, 2011 - 2:10 amNice to hear.

Ward Zinn SAID...

Nice to hear.


view counter
 
 
 

© 2020 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal