On Monday, March 18, Essex MPP Taras Natyshak (NDP) called on Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to stop the cancellation of the slots-at-racetracks program and engage the provincial horse-racing industry in a real consultation process.
Natyshak's release on the situation appears below.
Horse Racing Industry Needs Real Consultation Not Tory Privatization Schemes: NDP
Today Essex MPP Taras Natyshak called on Premier Wynne to end the cancellation of the Slots-At-Racetracks program and engage the horse racing industry in a real consultation process.
"In less than two weeks, the Liberal government will end the Slots-At-Racetracks program partnership, which will ensure the demise of the horse racing industry," said Natyshak. "To make things worse, this government has adopted a divide-and-conquer approach by forcing deals with certain tracks and leaving others to perish. Will the Premier freeze the cancellation of the SAR partnership until the government engages the industry in a real consultation process?"
The Liberal government's decision to cancel the SARP partnership lead to a 50% reduction in sales at last year’s yearling auction and has crippled the breeding industry.
"This government seems to be relying on the Tories’ white paper to privatize gaming and clearly doesn’t care about the thousands of jobs that will be lost in rural Ontario," said Natyshak. "The industry has seen catastrophic results already. Will the Premier stop the cancellation of the SARP partnership while it works with industry to come up with a real plan to preserve jobs in rural Ontario?"