A special panel of stewards put together to inquire the 'swabbing and betting' scandal in Down Under racing is scheduled to have its first meeting Tuesday, October 4
. Harness Racing New South Wales Regulatory Manager Reid Sanders has said that the panel will not rush its assessments.
"This is probably the biggest investigation undertaken in any code of racing in Australia," Sanders was quoted as saying in an article by The Sydney Morning Herald. "By its nature it is very complex and it was never going to be a quick process. I make no apology for that. We have to get it right and we are being very thorough in gathering evidence and assessing it."
Former Racing Victoria Chairman of Stewards Des Gleeson and Justice Wayne Haylen, QC are also reportedly on the panel.
(With files from The Sydney Morning Herald)
• Veteran Horseman Ruled Off
• Purses Reduced To Fund Drug Testing?
• Owner Banned Due To Probe
• Down Under Investigation Widening
• Trainer's Telephone Records Requested
• Stewards Resign Amid Probe
• Required: Report Change In Driving Tactics