view counter
 
view counter
 
 

Online Contest Glitch; Fasulo Wants His $6,000

Published: December 23, 2008 9:50 am ET

Last Comment: December 24, 2008 11:23 am ET | 9 Comment(s) | Jump to Comments

According to a report by the Toronto Star, problems with software running an online standardbred handicapping game have caused quite a stir with a resident of Brampton, ON. David Fasulo is stating that $6,000 should be coming his way after apparently winning the contest, but he has only been given a $10 credit.

The article quotes Jane Holmes, Woodbine Entertainment Group vice president, Corporate Affairs, as saying that it became apparent that uncorrectable problems occurred with the program running the contest. When the severity of the problem became apparent, the contest was cancelled.

The software for the online handicapping game is provided by Toronto's Fantasy Sports Services, Inc., which is owned by the Toronto Star. Woodbine is saying that the game was stopped prior to the final race of the contest.

"As soon as it was determined that the problems could not be corrected, the contest was cancelled," Holmes was quoted as saying. "The unofficial results that had been showing were not accurate."

The article states that Fasulo isn't buying Woodbine's stance on the issue. Fasulo maintains that the results that were posted online showed him as the winner and that he expected to collect the first prize of $6,000.

According to Fasulo, "The software was running perfectly the entire evening where I saw after the last race at 11:20 p.m. that I was in first place."

As a result of the problem, the 575 entrants that took part in the contest were credited with $10 to their HorsePlayer Interactive accounts.

Click here to read the story in its entirety.

(With files from the Toronto Star)

December 24, 2008 - 11:23 amYou never paid anything to

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

You never paid anything to enter this contest. I am sure that they were doing everything possible to rectify the glitches in the system while it was running live. Who knows maybe nobody get through to the people running the program to tell them that their picks were not registering correct until after the completion of the program. It was at this point it was declared no contest

December 24, 2008 - 11:15 amI was in the contest as

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

I was in the contest as well. I made my picks and went out for a late dinner. When I returned to my computer to see how my picks were doing I was astonished. My first two picks had won according to standardbredcanada results. however when I logged into the contest I had lost and I noticed that my picks were changed and therefore got no credits for the win and took away my play money as if I had lost. At this point I knew there was something wrong and did not even bother to complete the contest. Sometimes it is hard to face reality and even harder to accept. I sure hope that they can fix the system to have it run efficiently and continue to hold this type of contest.

December 24, 2008 - 9:56 amYou do realize that Fasulo

Louis (not verified) SAID...

You do realize that Fasulo might not even have won if it wasn't for the messup in the first couple of races, those races could have changed the course of many of the 575 contestants, myself being one of them.
Just because he was on top by 1500, doesn't mean a damn thing. The fact that the majority of these problems occured in the first couple of races has a lot of effect on what contestants would have built their bankroll up to in the remaining races...OBVIOUSLY!
I too had many problems getting my picks in for the first couple of races, the site crashed a couple times on me and resulted in not even COUNTING my first race winning wagers.

December 23, 2008 - 4:58 pmI was in the contest to.My

shooter g (not verified) SAID...

I was in the contest to.My early picks were changed and not what I posted earlier so there was definetly a problem with the game but I still feel bad for the guy who won.

December 23, 2008 - 3:05 pmI'm just having a problem

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

I'm just having a problem with the statement:

"The software was running perfectly the entire evening where I saw after the last race at 11:20 p.m. that I was in first place."

If the software was running perfectly - I would not have to redo my picks - would I? I did have to redo my picks. Sounds like at least one other contest player had to too.

December 23, 2008 - 12:26 pmthere was definitely a

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

there was definitely a problem. I ended up with a completely different horse in the first race, and better yet, the same horse was in exactors with horses in the second race

When I logged in to check my picks, I had to redo all of the remaining ones
They should retry the contest and offer it to the same 575

December 23, 2008 - 12:08 pmDo you think it is right to

david fasulo (not verified) SAID...

Do you think it is right to run the competition out to its COMPLETE ENTIRETY...then to say upon completion that its cancelled....

December 23, 2008 - 12:04 pmFasulo is 100% correct.

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

Fasulo is 100% correct. There was no indication of a problem with the contest until after the last race. The standings were taken down after the last race and a note was left on the standings page saying results would be posted once they were made official, so please check back later. It took at least 48 hours for a notice to be posted saying the contest had been cancelled. At no time during the contest were any of the contestants notified that there may be a problem. I am sure that there are many other interested participants who would validate my description of events. Fasulo was leading with a total in excess of $1500.00 which based on the rules of this contest and the results of past contests would have put him at or near the top regardless of the malfunction. The only question that I would ask him , is whether or not the result posted for him was accurate. If he says it was and his result can be verified then at the very least he should be given a portion of the first place prize. The contest stipulated a "guaranteed $10,000 payout". If WEG has provided $10.00 credits to 575 players then they still have $4250.00 left over from the "guaranteed $10,000". Since the Fantasy Sports Services software failed to perform they should be asked to contribute the $4250.00 and it should be distributed amongst the top 3 players using the same formula ( i.e 60% for first , 30% for second). I can only imagine the sinking feeling of disappointment to feel that you had won the contest only to be told 48 hours later that you hadn't. I don't doubt the fact that there was a problem. Had it been properly communicated to those playing in a timely fashion then problem solved. It was not however and because of this WEG needs to come up with a solution for those who believe that they won. ( assuming that their results are accurate and can be verified)One of the reasons that they run such contests is to provide a perk to those who use their HPI accounts and don't go offshore to make their plays. The way this has been handled will put enough of a bitter taste in some peoples mouths that they may look at alternative ways to bet on the WEG product in the future.

December 23, 2008 - 11:41 amI was in that contest too.

Anonymous (not verified) SAID...

I was in that contest too. I made my picks a day or two before the contest start date. When I check my picks on the day of the contest, they were all messed up. I had to redo my picks. Strange how the winner says the contest was working perfectly. It wasn’t for me.


view counter
 
 
 

© 2022 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal