view counter
view counter

Flamboro Downs To Pause Racing

Published: March 26, 2021 4:17 pm ET

Last Comment: March 27, 2021 9:11 am ET | 3 Comment(s) | Jump to Comments

Further to the Ontario government’s announcement today (March 26) that certain businesses, including racetracks, in the Hamilton Region will be moving to the “Grey”, or “Lockdown” level as part of the effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Great Canadian is in the process of temporarily suspending racing operations at Flamboro Downs.

Great Canadian and Flamboro Downs are committed to providing a safe environment for both horse people and our team members and introduced significant health and safety protocols as part of Flamboro Downs’ first reopening on September 3, 2020.

As of 11:59 p.m. Sunday, March 28, 2021, Flamboro Downs will suspend racing operations. We are hopeful that the move to the “Grey”, or “Lockdown” phase of the Province’s COVID-19 Framework will be for a short duration; however, taking into account direction from public health authorities, the decision to reopen Flamboro Downs will be dependent on the state of the pandemic in the province and its respective regions.

Great Canadian and Flamboro Downs will continue to support the efforts of the Ontario provincial government and Public Health Ontario in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Details regarding the reopening of Flamboro Downs will be announced at a future date.

We look forward to welcoming horse people and our team members back as soon as it is safe to do so at Flamboro Downs.

(Great Canadian)

March 27, 2021 - 9:11 amI wonder if that will have

Mike Mobley SAID...

I wonder if that will have any effect on The Confederation Cup, which is presently scheduled for May 23?

March 26, 2021 - 8:09 pmWhy don’t they just open

Kyle Strejch SAID...

Why don’t they just open Georgian to avoid this. How are we supposed to make a living like this?

March 26, 2021 - 7:59 pmLet's be proactive. Bad news

Let's be proactive.

Bad news for all involve, but we have options.

Grand River scheduled to open June 2nd (in 2 months) lets get the track ready and start racing ASAP. Worse case, if Flamboro wants the dates back, GR could finalise season sooner and Flam re-open in August or whatever.

Easy fix and business continues for all.

view counter

© 2021 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal