47-1 Shot In Monticello NYSS

Published: September 17, 2009 12:53 pm EDT

Four divisions of freshman trotting fillies raced for a total purse in excess of $146,000 in New York Sire Stakes action at Monticello Raceway Wednesday, September 16. Each division went for approximately $36,000.

In one of the divisions, Munis Blue Chip coasted home an easy winner in 2:02:1, defeating Tuesday With Mom. Other winners included Southwind Samurai, Sweetspellosuccess and R Moni Girl.

“A lot of the other fillies are getting tired now and my filly is just starting to come around,” trainer Ray Schnittker said of Munis Blue Chip, who triumphed from off the tempo. “I believe she’ll be tough to beat in the final (NYSS final at Vernon Downs on September 26)”

It was the fourth win in eight starts for Munis Blue Chip who is co-owned by Schnittker.

Pat Berry made his trip to the 'Mighty M' a winning one when he guided Southwind Samurai to a 2:04:4 victory over Miss Conway and Dan Daley. Viva Las Lindy finished third for Howard Parker.

Berry had a precarious ride after the first turn, as Southwind Samurai, a daughter of Conway Hall, lost her right front shoe -- a bar shoe.

“She (Southwind Samurai) was OK most of the mile, but in the stretch when she was getting tired I thought I was going to lose her," Berry explained. “I steadied her and she made it to the finish without breaking.”

The third division saw Credit Winner filly Sweetspellosuccess cruise to victory for trainer Trond Smedshammer, who was steering the filly. Sweetspellosuccess recorded a five-length victory in 2:05.

It was bombs away in the final NYSS division when Donald Jacobs and R Moni Girl upset the favorites at odds of over 47-1 and returned a whopping $95.50 win mutuel.

“With the late scratch of the morning line favourite (Connie) and a break by the (favoured) Glidemyway the slow fractions worked [to] my advantage,” Jacobs said afterward. "I am really happy the way things turned out today.”

(With files from Monticello)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.