Karl Captures The 99th Hambletonian

Karl!
Published: August 3, 2024 06:33 pm EDT

Karl won the $1,458,333 Hambletonian on Saturday (Aug. 3) at the Meadowlands as trainer Nancy Takter continued a family tradition and Hall of Fame driver Yannick Gingras scored his first win in the trotting classic.

Contested in a driving rainstorm, Karl closed resolutely to beat Highland Kismet by a length as the 3-5 favourite. No one in the winner’s circle seemed to mind the raindrops falling on their heads.

Takter, a part owner of the three-year-old colt, became the first trainer to win consecutive Hambletonians since her Hall of Fame father, Jimmy Takter, in 2014 and 2015. She was only the third female trainer to win the Hambletonian when Tactical Approach finished first last year.

“I was definitely a lot prettier in the winner’s circle last year, and a lot drier” said a thoroughly-drenched Takter. “He’s just an amazing horse.”

The other female trainers who have won Hambletonians in the sport’s 99-year history are Paula Wellwood, with Marion Marauder in 2016; and Linda Toscano, with Market Share in 2012.

Only three trainers have won the race in consecutive years: the Takters; and Per Eriksson, in 1991 and 1992.

“I don’t think I’ve screamed so much in my entire life as I did the last eighth of that mile,” Takter said. “It was really exciting, and I’m extremely proud of the horse and the entire team. I’m happy for Yannick for his first Hambletonian.”

For Gingras, it was the end of a lengthy quest. He was winless in 11 previous Hambletonian finals, finishing second three times. Perhaps the most excruciating loss was the defeat by a nose to Triple Crown winner Marion Marauder in 2016.

Gingras was extremely emotional, twirling his whip in a victory salute roughly 50 yards from the finish line.

“It means so much,” said Gingras who drove his 9,000th career winner earlier this week. “Especially for my kids. As they got older, I saw the disappointment in their faces every year. They’re not disappointed that I’m not winning. They’re disappointed for me because they know how much it means.”

It means everything, especially when it finally happens.

Karl was away sixth in the early stages before tracking Highland Kismet into the outer flow down the backstretch. Karl needed several strides in the sloppy stretch before kicking into high gear to claim the trophy.

“Highland Kismet kept clear for a little bit but I just had to wait for a couple of strides,” Gingras said. “It was tight quarters. I didn’t want to do anything to jeopardize it. I just figured an eighth of a mile was enough to show what a champion he was.”

The time was 1:51.3 for the mile.

Karl posted his 15th win in 17 starts for the ownership of Nancy and her mother, Christina Takter, along with Black Horse Racing and Bender Sweden. His career earnings eclipsed the million-dollar mark twice over, now standing at $2,054,574.

Karl, last season’s Dan Patch Award winner, paid $3.40, $2.40 and $2.20. Finishing second was Highland Kismet — driven by Bob McClure for trainer Mark Etsell, both of Rockwood, Ont., and owner Highland Thoroughbred Farm of Inglewood, Ont. — after a strong first-over performance. He returned $4.00 and $4.00.  Amazing Catch paid $9.60 to show after surviving a judges' inquiry that determined he was not guilty of a penalty for racing inside the pylons for driver Dexter Dunn.

Live video from the 2024 Hambletonian Day card of harness racing is archived below.

MEADOWLANDS SIMULCAST FEED

COSA-TV FEED

HAMBO DAY HANDLE TOPS $7 MILLION AT BIG M

For the sixth time in the last seven years, all-source handle on the Hambletonian Day program at The Meadowlands topped $7 million, with the 2020 COVID-19 card the only one to fail to reach that plateau.

Despite several downpours during the course of the day, a total of $7,427,223 — an industry 2024 best — was wagered on the blockbuster 16-race program Saturday at The Big M, good for an average per race of $464,201.

“To wager over $7 million again on the biggest and best harness card of the year in North America is something we are proud of,” said track Chief Operating Officer and General Manager Jason Settlemoir. “And that total takes into account only wagers made in North America. When the totals from Finland, France, Denmark, Norway and Sweden are added to our North American total, our grand total will be well in excess of $8 million.”

Business was predictably brisk on the Hambletonian itself, as $1,115,982 was pushed through the windows on the 99th edition of “America’s Trotting Classic”, the third year in a row where betting busted the million-dollar barrier.

Dave Miller and Nancy Takter walked away as the top dash-winning driver and trainer, respectively, at the Winter-Spring-Championship Meet, which spanned Jan. 5-Hambo Day, a total of 61 race cards.

Hall of Famer Miller, 59, claimed his first-ever outright top-driver crown. In 2003, “Purple Jesus” ended up tied atop the standings with Luc Ouellette.

Miller finished with 86 victories, 14 more than runner-up Andy McCarthy.

Takter, 43, whose barn is normally associated more with quality than with quantity, walked away with the dash-win crown despite registering only 93 starts entering the weekend. Her students won 36 times as she claimed her first Big M crown. Per Engblom was runner-up with 31 tallies.

(Meadowlands)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.