Who do you think will win the $1 million 2022 Hambletonian?
Rebuff, who won one of last week’s two Hambletonian Stakes eliminations and is unbeaten in three starts this season, drew post one for Saturday’s $1 million final and was made the 9-5 morning line favourite in the classic race for three-year-old trotters at The Meadowlands.
Jiggy Jog S, who won the other elimination and is one of two fillies in the race, drew post five and was made the 4-1 third choice. Yonkers Trot champion Joviality S, the remaining female starter, got post two and was made the 7-2 second choice.
Elimination winners drew for posts one through five. The remaining horses followed in an open draw.
A filly has won two of the past four editions of the Hambletonian, with Atlanta capturing the trophy in 2018, and 15 overall in 96 years.
This is the second time in three years that two fillies advanced to the Hambletonian final. Ramona Hill and Sister Sledge faced the boys in 2020, with Ramona Hill winning both her elimination and the final. Sister Sledge finished eighth in the final.
The Hambletonian is the middle jewel in the Trotting Triple Crown, between the Yonkers Trot and Kentucky Futurity, which will be held Oct. 9 at Lexington’s Red Mile.
Here's the field for the $1 million Hambletonian:
Post - Horse - Driver - Trainer - Morning Line
1. Rebuff - Tim Tetrick - Lucas Wallin - 9-5
2. Joviality S - Brian Sears - Marcus Melander - 7-2
3. Fast As The Wind - Yannick Gingras - Tony Alagna - 8-1
4. Keg Stand - David Miller - Nancy Takter - 10-1
5. Jiggy Jog S - Dexter Dunn - Ake Svanstedt - 4-1
6. Cool Papa Bell - Brian Sears - Jim Campbell - 15-1
7. Temporal Hanover - Örjan Kihlström - Marcus Melander - 8-1
8. King Of The North - Mark MacDonald - Ray Schnittker - 15-1
9. Periculum - Mattias Melander - Marcus Melander - 15-1
10. Looks Like Moni - Andrew McCarthy - Nancy Takter - 15-1
Have your say on who you think will win this weekend's main event at the following link: Who do you think will win the $1 million 2022 Hambletonian?