2011 Dewey Degree Scholarship Awarded

Published: June 6, 2011 11:42 am EDT

The United States Harness Writers Association's Upstate New York Chapter has announced that Shawn Harvey is the recipient of the 2011 Dewey Degree

College Scholarship.

Harvey is from Imperial, Pennsylvania and is currently attending the University of West Virginia College of Business and Economics, majoring in Sports Marketing. He is a frequent member of the Dean’s list and carries a 3.7 GPA. He will be entering his senior year this fall and will graduate Magna Cum Laude in 2012.

While in school, Harvey has been involved with the athletic department for two seasons as a practice player for WVU’s nationally ranked women’s basketball team and one season as the student manager for the team. He also worked in that department to market and gain attendance for some lower profile WVU sporting events.

Harvey will be starting an internship this summer with CBS College Sports in its programming department in New York City. This is a very prestigious opportunity as they only accepted 11 college students for internships for that division of CBS. He will also be participating in the Clyde Hirt Workshop, working with racing media professionals, covering the Hambletonian.

Harvey plans to integrate what he has learned in college with a continued association in harness racing. And when you hear what he has to say about the sport, you will realize he understands what is needed.

Harvey said “I have visited the track with college friends many times. I taught them how to handicap and bet and they all won a little money. Those trips highlighted an area in which our sport can make vast improvement—handicapping education. My friends and I are exactly the kind of customers that harness racing must develop. However there was no education provided at the track to teach them to bet. I don’t know how they would have figured it out without me.”

“Racing is not in business to sell hot dogs or programs. We sell bets and without that, nothing else matters. We must provide handicapping education to our fans every racing day, at every track and fair. In life and in racing, education is the key to a successful future, one that in which I hope to take part. “

Harvey’s family has a long, rich history in harness racing. His parents, Leo and Kathie Harvey, have always raced horses with his dad doing the training and driving. His one grandfather is Hall of Famer Harry Harvey who won the 1953 Hambletonian with the filly Helicopter. His other grandfather is Walter 'Boots' Dunn who is the chairman of USTA District 7 and also holds the record for most wins by an amateur driver, 1,150. These two men have been involved in racing since the 1940s. His uncle, Bill Zendt, races at the Meadows and his aunt, Ellen Harvey, is a renowned racing journalist that works for the USTA’s Harness Racing Communications.

Congratulations to this industry leader of tomorrow. The formal cheque presentation will be at Tioga Downs on Sunday, June 12 in the winner’s circle.

The Dewey Degree Scholarship was initiated by generous donations from Ray Schnittker and Jeff Gural and is administered by the upstate New York chapter of the United States Harness Writers Association. It was named after Schnittker’s great Hambletonian winning trotter, Deweycheatumnhowe.

(USHWA)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.