$25 Million Deal For Rideau?

Published: March 15, 2014 09:53 am EDT

The Ontario government is expected to announce a $25 million five-year deal with Ottawa's Rideau Carleton Raceway, according to a report published on Friday evening.

An article in the Ottawa Sun has reported that the provincial government is expected to announce a plan next week that includes $5 million in transitional funds per year for five years for Rideau Carleton with at least 89 annual race days.

The article also includes reaction to the expected announcement from Nepean-Carleton MPP Lisa MacLeod.

“After putting some of my constituents out of work and forcing some to leave, the Liberal announcement of $5 million to the Rideau Carleton Raceway won’t restore what they destroyed,” MacLeod was quoted as saying by the Ottawa Sun. “In fact I think destroying a profitable revenue sharing arrangement only to put the industry on life support with subsidies is wrong.”

As reported earlier this week by the London Free Press, a five-year deal is expected to be announced soon between the province and a circuit of eight Standardbred racetracks -- Western Fair, Grand River, Clinton, Hanover, Flamboro, Georgian, Woodbine and Mohawk.

“I ask why then are eight tracks being treated with more funding and greater priority than Rideau Carleton Raceway?" said MacLeod. "Eastern Ontario agriculture and horse racing isn’t necessarily a priority for Ontario’s agriculture minister. Her record speaks for itself.”

(With files from the Ottawa Sun)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.