view counter
 
view counter
 
 

Ontario Faces Province-Wide Lockdown

Published: December 21, 2020 5:54 pm ET

Last Comment: December 22, 2020 6:40 am ET | 1 Comment(s) | Jump to Comments

As a result of the province-wide lockdown announced on Monday (Dec. 21) by the Government of Ontario, harness racing will be suspended at Rideau Carleton Raceway, The Raceway at the Western Fair District and Woodbine Mohawk Park effective Saturday, Dec. 26.

Live racing was previously suspended at Flamboro Downs when the City of Hamilton was placed in lockdown as of Monday.


Provincewide Shutdown to Suspend Live Racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park
Doubleheader Scheduled for Last Day of Racing before Imposed Shutdown

Woodbine Entertainment announced today that live Standardbred Racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park will be temporarily suspended as a result of the Government of Ontario imposing a province-wide shutdown for at least 28 days starting on Saturday, December 26 at 12:01 a.m.

In an effort to provide horsepeople with additional racing opportunities prior to the mandated shutdown, Woodbine has received approval from the AGCO to add two cards of live racing to its schedule for this Wednesday, December 23. The doubleheader will begin with an afternoon card at 2:00 p.m. followed by an evening card at 7:00 p.m.

The afternoon card is the previously drawn Tuesday, December 22 card for Flamboro Downs.

“While we are disappointed that we must temporarily suspend live racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park, we continue to be supportive of the Government’s efforts to manage the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Jim Lawson, CEO, Woodbine Entertainment. “The safety of our employees, horsepeople, customers and communities will always be our highest priority. As we have demonstrated throughout the pandemic, we will continue to be leaders in health and safety and look forward to when we can safely resume live racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park that supports thousands of people in the region who depend on it.”

Standardbred racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park will be temporarily suspended following the two race cards scheduled for Wednesday, December 23.

As a result of the suspension of racing, Woodbine Mohawk Park will be closed and not available for training as of Thursday, December 24

Woodbine Entertainment will provide updates as necessary.

(Woodbine)


Following today’s announcement from the Government of Ontario mandating a province-wide shut down commencing December 26th at 12:01 a.m due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Rideau Carleton Raceway has canceled its scheduled Sunday, December 27 race card.

Consequently, our 2020 race meet has now concluded. Effective immediately, access to the backstretch and track for training will be limited only to those stabled on-site.

Racing resumes on Sunday, February 7, pending regulatory approval. Qualification dates in late January (clarification of the 45 clear days qualifying rule will be provided when available). The safety of our employees, horsepeople and communities will always be our priority and we look forward to a new season in 2021.

(Rideau Carleton Raceway)


December 22, 2020 - 6:40 amNo racing until February...I

Diane Lord SAID...

No racing until February...I hope, that these same restrictions apply to the Toronto Maple Leafs whose season is suppose to start on January 13th, 2021.


view counter
 
 
 

© 2021 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal