$250,000 Program Friday Night In London

Published: June 14, 2009 07:07 pm EDT

As the current meet at Western Fair turns into its final two weeks, another huge program is slated for

the evening of Friday, June 19 in the City of London Series Championship program.

The top purse of the four titles races is $62,200 for the filly and mare pace division. The colt and gelding pace final will see an even $61,000 purse go on the table. The trotting finals go for purses of $53,500 and $53,800.

You can’t help but get a sense of the mixture of excitement and frustration when you talk with Ken Mogk of Tavistock, ON about his trotter Ken Car Kasper. He’ll be trying to upset Walt and Mike Whelan's M T L Maple in the colt and gelding trot championship.

“He’s going to race in Woodstock in July in the new Oxford County Series but my horse has developed quite a habit of finishing second,” says the hobby breeder and owner/operator of an abattoir business.

“Our horse has got us on the edge of our seats every start. Before his third place finish last Friday night, he was second in close photo finishes four straight times and always by less than a length and a half. So it’s been exciting and frustrating at the same time, but that’s racing,” he says.

The four-year-old trotter is trained and driver by Embro’s Brent Belore.

“He’s a nice, honest horse that does his work well” Belore says. “Arnold Kestle in Sebringville did a great job of preparing him before I got him. One of these times a winning trip will work out and I hope it’s soon” he adds. “I think going into the City Of London Series final on June 19 he’ll be very competitive too.”

Mogk also donates of his time freely for the Woodstock and District Trotting Association. He’s been on the executive for over 22 years and he’s safeguarded the minutes of all Association meetings dating to 1987.

“Horse owners that aren’t patient won’t be successful and probably won’t be in it very long and I’ve got friends in Woodstock telling me now I should put an artificial nose on Ken Car Kasper so a photo finish might go our way,” he says jokingly. “Whenever a horse of mine does win I make sure I walk slowly to the winner’s circle. There’s no way to know if or when you’re ever going back again.”

Another major storyline that will play out on Friday night is how pacer Greystone Cash will perform in the City Of London Series colt and gelding championship. The abundantly talented but somewhat skittish pacer was kept together by Anthony Haughan last week to win after a wide trip in 1:57. Owner Patrick Ryan recently made a private purchase of the three year old gelding from his breeders, Jean and Jim Caddey of Embro, ON.

"What attracted me to buying him was one of his early races when he was trailing by 21 lengths and came back to win," Ryan told London sportscaster Pete James on CJBK's Track Talk last Friday. "We hope he can continue to get safer and get his confidence, and longer term we're looking to start him in at the Red Mile in September and October."

Through June 30, live programs at Western Fair turn to gate on Monday and Tuesday afternoon at 3:35 p.m. and every Friday evening at 7:05 p.m.

Around the Midwest Of Ontario

At Hanover Raceway on Saturday night, five-year-old trotter On Demand overcame a recall and racked up his eighth straight win. The Mr Lavec-Armbro Versace gelding hasn't lost a race since February 6. Doug McNair has been in the bike for the former Mennonite trotter's remarkable streak for thirteen-year-old owner Rachel Oenema of Burgessville and trainer Terry Oenema.

At Woodstock Raceway on Saturday afternoon, Slaley tied the pacing mares track record of 1:53.4 with Jody Jamieson in the bike in the $16,000 purse Mares Preferred Pace. The-four-year old Grinfromeartoear-Sauternes mare is trained by Bill Robinson for owners Ian Fromowitz and Gerrie Tucker. Slaley now shares the track record category in Woodstock with Illusionist.

At Clinton Raceway, racing resumed on Sunday afternoon after a one-week hiatus due to the Clinton Fair. Upcoming events in Clinton include the second Annual Kin Pace for a $50,000 purse, several Ontario Sires Stakes events and the overwhelming popular semi-annual Legends Day.

(Western Fair Raceway)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.