Trot N.A. Cup Spring Book: #10

trot-2017-spring-book-10-370.jpg
Published: April 4, 2017 10:30 am EDT

The countdown to the 2017 Pepsi North America Cup is on, with Trot Magazine profiling the horses predicted to be the top contenders for Canadian harness racing's richest prize.

At 22-1, Ocean Colony kicks off the countdown, coming at #10 in Trot Magazine's 2017 Pepsi North America Cup Spring Book.

Boasting a mark of 1:50.1 as a freshman -- the fourth fastest of his division and the fastest paced by a two-year-old in Canada last year -- Ocean Colony is the first of three colts sired by 2008 North America Cup champion Somebeachsomewhere to make Trot's Top 10.

Owned by Canadians John Fielding, Marvin Katz, Sam Goldband and Al Libfeld along with Christina Takter of New Jersey and Hatfield Stables of Ohio, Ocean Colony was a $115,000 yearling developed and trained by Jimmy Takter. Trot Insider caught up with Takter for an update.

Where did he winter?

"Here at my farm in New Jersey."

When did you start back with him?

"We brought him back in the first or second week in January."

Have you noticed any changes from last year to this year?

"He filled out quite a bit...he looks more like a horse now, he lost that baby look. He looks awesome, very good."

Where are you at with him right now and when will he qualify?

"We trained him [March 30], we went a little faster with him, a mile in 1:58 so he's about two and a half, three weeks away from qualifying."

What will his early schedule look like leading up to the Pepsi North America Cup?

"I don't know yet, I haven't decided how to approach those races. Maybe some Sire Stakes first and then we go up to Canada."

What does his tentative schedule look like after the NA Cup?

"He's paid into everything."

What makes this horse such a great competitor?

"On and off he showed he belonged with those better horses. Maybe he was a little tired at the end of the year. He has the speed, he's a fast horse. Looking at him as a two-year-old, I think he will do better as a three-year-old because he was still very much baby-looking still...he's a big horse but he didn't have the body for a big size of horse.

"He's a good horse but we'll see if we can go with Schnittker's horse (Huntsville) and Brian Brown's horse (Downbytheseaside)...those are very good horses but I definitely think he's going to improve this year."

Any stablemates in the barn right now that are paid up and also looking promising?

"I just have two horses eligible: Blood Line is one and Ocean Colony is the other." Takter confirmed that Blood Line will follow a similar path to the 2017 North America Cup.

The North America Cup is one of the few races that has eluded you over the years. Where does this race sit on the bucket list of races you've yet to win?

"I've got a couple of seconds in the race and it's definitely on my bucket list. Meadowlands Pace I have a couple of seconds in also...those are two races I really want to win

"It's a tough race to win. You need to have a lot of things on your side and you need a heck of a good horse, too."

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.