15% Takeout Spurs 80% Increase

Published: April 3, 2011 04:21 pm EDT

One track is noticing a dramatic increase in wagering after lowering takeout on a popular multi-leg wager

. That track is Balmoral Park, who will offer guaranteed $15,000 Pick 4 pools every weekend in the month of April with the help of the USTA Strategic Wagering initiative, as well as $25,000 on Sundays.

Since the takeout on the pick 4 was lowered to 15 per cent after the 2009 season, the Balmoral Pick 4 has showed extraordinary gains in a down market. Players across North America have responded to the takeout reduction in large numbers, making the Balmoral Pick 4 a must play with multi-race bettors.

During the 2009 season, the pick 4 average pool was $8,827. The 2010 season brought the debut of the 15 per cent takeout on the pick 4.The wager proved increasingly popular with the takeout reduction and when the year end results were in, over $2,000,000 was wagered on the Pick 4 in 2010. Statistics showed that the average pool rose to $14,211 with the lower takeout in 2010, an increase of more than 61 per cent.

The momentum has continued into the 2011 season. Over 37 nights of harness racing, players have wagered $590,380 on the Balmoral Pick 4, a nightly average of $15,956. When compared with the pools in 2009 with the old takeout, the Balmoral Pick 4 pool average has increased over 80 per cent in 15 months.

The Balmoral Pick 4, offered on the final four races of the evening, has a minimum wager of one dollar.

Tags

Comments

Mr Parke I was at the practise rounds for the Masters so I was too busy to congratulate the Balmorals and Western Fairs of the world who are starting to reduce the price of their product to increase the volume. Speaking of how value brings back the customer, at the Masters I had a pulled pork sandwich, bag of chips and a 12 oz beer all for under 6 dollars and I cant wait to get back. I know I wont feel that well treated if I bet the Weg pick four tonight.

To Mr.Parke,

Quite often people like myself do express there opinion but standardbred canada in their infinite wisdom quite often chooses not to post it depending on what mood they are in or perhaps it doesn't fit their very narrow point of view and god forbid a person should knock on here anything the mighty weg circuit does. I posted a reply on weg extending there $100k pick 4 guarantee letting weg know that i would not be playing it and why and lo and behold they decided not to post it because i told weg the way it was and standardbred canada hates that. Now Mr. Parke you will never get to read this because standardbred canada doesn't like being called out or challenged on anything.

Hi Don,

We've been offering both our Win-4 wagers at Western Fair at the 15% takeout rate as well, along with a $4,000 guaranteed minimum pool on our late one during the week days.

We're happy with the numbers so far.

Greg Blanchard

I was just wondering why the bettors who read this website and voice opinions haven't commented on this yet.
Seems like a no brainer, take away the greed and everyone benefits, glad to see some people are getting it.

Greg Parke

Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.