view counter
 
view counter
 
 

Zeron Discusses Move To U.S.

Published: November 12, 2013 11:25 am ET

No Comments | Jump to Comments

"I'm not expecting things to be amazing all at once, but I'm willing to work and do double cards and race seven days a week."

After three straight seasons of being a finalist for Canada's Driver of the Year, Scott Zeron is packing his bags and heading to the United States. As previously reported, the 2012 U.S. Rising Star of the Year will be found in the Meadowlands' driving colony when the renovated track kicks off its 2013 Falll-Winter meet on November 23.

"It was a bunch of things that came altogether, we were undecided around March if we were even going to be racing in Canada," Zeron told Trot Radio's Norm Borg. "I just felt like I wanted to take that chance [staying here] and I'm happy I did...I had a great year. But then I headed down to Lexington this year and I stayed there for the full two weeks, and I was just kind of feeling around and seeing how people would respond and see if I could get some support in the move down. A lot of people said a lot of great things and I've had a lot of support towards it so it just helped me make that decision to finally do it. It's something I've always wanted to do my whole life -- I didn't think it would be this early in my career. I just hope it's the right move."

That move, Zeron confirmed, has certainly been expedited based on the reduced racing calendar in Ontario.

"I felt like I had a great year this year so far, I've been the leading driver at WEG for three-quarters of the year. I just felt like things were good but I look at my earnings at the year and they've dropped significantly. It's been the same for every single other person. I just feel like we have a ceiling here where you can only make a certain amount and the top guys -- we can still make great money -- but I don't like having that ceiling and not being able to have the opportunities that I want to have. And I feel like in the States, it's endless opportunity."

That opportunity comes at a personal cost to the 24-year-old reinsman as he will be leaving behind his close-knit family. Zeron noted that the household is not adjusting well to the thought of him not being there.

"Not many people know -- some do -- I still live at home. I've been blessed that I have a really loving family, so I've been able to stay at home this whole time and drive to the races with my Dad at night. It's a huge support system back at home and nobody wants to see me leave the house."

Will that support system end up making some trips down to the Meadowlands with a few Standardbreds in tow? Scott is hopeful that his dad, trainer-driver Rick Zeron, will send some horses down if the chance comes up.

After the Meadowlands shuts down, where will Scott Zeron drive? He's leaving that open.

"When April rolls around, all those tracks open up - Chester and Pocono - and it will all depend on how I do throughout the Winter. If I feel it's a good decision and everything, I'll stay down there and try to go with those horses and stick with the two-year-olds. That's the biggest thing: I want to drive some quality two-year-olds and three-year-olds and I feel like the majority of them are down there. "

To listen to the full interview, including which trainer has committed to making Zeron his go-to catch driver and which day is his last on the WEG circuit, click he play button below.


Trot Radio - Episode 309 - Driver Scott Zeron
Audio Format: MP3 audio
Host: Norm Borg


(Photo: New Image Media)


The opinions expressed are those of the participants and do not necessarily represent those of Standardbred Canada.


view counter
 
 
 

© 2020 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal