2024 P.E.I. Harness Racing Program Expanded

Harness Racing at Charlottetown Driving Park
Published: January 20, 2024 02:57 pm EST

On Saturday, Jan. 20, Blaine MacPherson, Chair of the P.E.I. Harness Racing Industry Association, and David MacKenzie, General Manager of Red Shores, announced that the 2024 P.E.I. harness racing season will offer more race dates to reflect an increasing horse population. In partnership with the Industry Association, Red Shores will be applying for 111 race dates in 2024, up from 106 in 2023.

“We are pleased to be in a position to expand racing opportunities for our horsepeople,” said MacPherson. “I would like to thank Red Shores for continuing to strongly support our harness racing industry through our partnership.”

“We would like to thank the P.E.I. Harness Racing Industry Association and Red Shores for working with the Prince County MLAs to expand the racing season and, in particular, adding race cards at Red Shores Summerside for the 2024 race season,” said Barb Ramsay, MLA for District 22, Summerside-South Drive. “We know the additional race dates and expanding racing further into the fall in Summerside will be appreciated by the local harness racing enthusiasts, including owners, drivers, trainers, spectators and fans.”

Additional dates will be offered at both P.E.I. tracks, including extending live racing in Summerside into November. Red Shores Charlottetown is planning to stage 80 race dates, with 31 race dates planned for Red Shores Summerside.

“In 2023, revenue in all lines of business at Red Shores, including wagering, was strong,” said David MacKenzie, General Manager. "This has enabled us to provide an increased contribution to the provincial purse pool to help support an expanded racing season.”

Additional details on the upcoming P.E.I. harness racing program will be released by the P.E.I. Harness Racing Industry Association and Red Shores in early 2024. 

(P.E.I. Harness Racing Industry Association)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.