view counter
view counter

Transporting Horses To Canada

Published: March 21, 2020 6:14 pm ET

No Comments | Jump to Comments

Standardbred Canada (SC) is communicating daily with Equestrian Canada (EC) and is working with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to expedite the return process for equines (including Standardbred race horses) to Canada from the United States.

As a result, CFIA is collaborating with the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) to ensure clear communication at all levels.

Please see the below important updates:

  1. You are encouraged to return home with your Standardbreds as soon as possible to avoid further travel complications and border closures.

  2. Make sure that your National Passport is active and available, particularly for Standardbreds who have been in the US for more than 60 days.

  3. To expedite the export process while maintaining the procedural efficacy, CFIA has agreed to temporarily accept digital veterinary signatures for USDA endorsed health certificates. This will drastically improve turn-around time and reduce postage.

  4. If your Standardbred has been in the US for less than 60 days:Standardbreds that have been in the US for less than 60 days can return to Canada on their Canadian health certificate as indicated in the CFIA Automated Import Reference System (AIRS). It is important to refer to the AIRS to understand and complete the necessary import requirements. For help using the system, a short tutorial can be found here.

  5. If your standardbred has been in the US for more than 60 days:
    Standardbreds that have been in the US for over 60 days must return to Canada with a US health certificate, as the status of these horses has automatically switched from Canadian to American.

  6. Please review the following information to prepare for your upcoming border crossing:

    CBSA - General information
    CBSA - Plan your trip across the border
    CFIA Guidance Document Repository - Export to the US
    CFIA - Importing terrestrial animals to Canada

  7. If you have not already done so, register with the Government of Canada as a Canadian abroad here so that they may track the whereabouts of citizens and permanent residents.

view counter

© 2020 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal