At 84, MacDonald Wants The Front

RussellMacDonald01.jpg
Published: May 19, 2015 12:32 pm EDT

At age 84 and with 64 years’ experience in the harness racing industry, veteran Nova Scotia horseman Russell MacDonald isn’t ready to give his competition a single inch on the track. “I won’t retire until I get nervous,” he has said.

The Chronicle Herald has run a profile piece on MacDonald, who has stated that he feels his nine-year-old Mantacular gelding Grandtacular is the best horse he’s ever owned, even if the bay is a spotty eater and doesn’t exactly wash his meals down, either.

According to MacDonald, “of all the horses I’ve had, he’s (Grandtacular) the worst to eat and drink.” And that really says something, as MacDonald has seen his fair share of horseflesh, and then some, over his time at the racetrack.

The piece, which was written by Andrew Rankin, explains that MacDonald has participated in quite a chunk of the province’s racing past; be it racing over ice tracks, mud tracks, Tartan Downs, Sackville Downs or Inverness Raceway.

MacDonald has faced off against some of the most well respected horsepeople Nova Scotia has ever produced, and he will be looking to face the best of the current day this Saturday (May 23) when the track kicks off its season.

Although drivers will line up and see MacDonald – who will turn 85 this summer – they should be made well aware that he’s not just out there for kicks.

“If I can go to the front, I’ll go to the front.”

(With files from The Chronicle Herald)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.