2015 O'Briens Hosts Announced

ken-middleton-greg-blanchard-370.jpg
Published: February 6, 2016 11:09 am EST

With the 2015 O’Brien Awards just one week away, expectations for an entertaining night are mounting. The evening will feature some of harness racing's most recognizable personalities, including co-hosts Ken Middleton and Greg Blanchard.

Middleton, the Woodbine Entertainment Group’s Standardbred announcer, will take the mic as the anchor at the Black Tie Gala for the thirteenth consecutive year.

"I'm honoured to be a part of the O'Brien Awards once again," said Middleton. "It's a special night for everyone involved, and I'm happy to be part of a presentation that has long been a well-oiled machine."

Joining him will be Greg Blanchard, Raceway Manager at The Raceway at Western Fair District. Blanchard is no stranger to the mic or camera having worked at WEG for 10 years in the broadcast department. He has also made guest announcer appearances across Ontario and is involved as an on-air host for many of Ontario’s major racing events including the Confederation Cup, Battle of Waterloo and more. This will be the second time that Blanchard co-hosts the O’Briens as this duo co-hosted the 2010 O'Brien Awards.

"I'm excited and honoured to be asked back to do it again. It's always a fantastic night, it's a night I look forward to attending every year and to be a part of it in this capacity is a real treat."

Middleton and Blanchard will without a doubt put on a great show, each having taken different approaches to prepare for their roles for the big event. Returning home from a warm winter vacation in Australia and New Zealand, Middleton will be fresh for his hosting duties along side his longtime colleague.

"Greg and I have a rapport that goes back a long way, and I'm sure it will be a fun night for both of us. It's great for all of us to put away our winter jackets and snow gear for one night to get all fancied up," stated Middleton. "I really look forward to catching up with a lot of friends throughout the industry from all over North America."

Blanchard will be warmed up having served as a host for this year’s SBOA Awards that took place on January 23.

"Kenny and I worked together for several years so there's a very high comfort level working with Ken. When you work with Kenny, you're working with a guy that's got a wealth of experience and knowledge. You don't feel as though you have to carry the ball...there's more potential for some good back-and-forth interaction.

"He's a consummate professional but he's got a great sense of humour as well. It's a nice combination to work with."

The 2015 O’Brien Awards are scheduled for Saturday, February 13 at the Hilton Mississauga / Meadowvale Hotel. Canada’s harness racing champions will be announced at the Black Tie Gala.

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.