10-Year-Old Doing His Part For Racing

Published: July 27, 2012 01:44 pm EDT

After having seen a 13-year-old step up in an effort to help save the Ontario horse-racing industry, now another youngster, 10-year-old Brent Clemmer of Listowel, Ont., has followed suit.

Earlier this week, Clemmer sent a hand-written letter to Standardbred Canada explaining that, in an effort to try to save the Ontario horse-racing industry from the Provincial Liberals' gaming plans, he had submitted a letter to the editor of the Listowel Banner shining light on the issue.

Clemmer's letter to the editor appeared in the Wednesday, July 18 edition of the 'Banner.' In his letter, Clemmer explained that he is from a long line of provincial horsemen, and pointed out that the slots-at-racetracks program --- the province's most successful gaming venture which helps employ up to 60,000 Ontarians --- "is a great program for my province and horsepeople."

"I don't think it is fair to take away the people's jobs and life," Clemmer wrote. "I think that we should get rid of Mr. McGuinty before he gets rid of us, and not just for people, but so the horses can live their lives. Thanks!"

"Standardbred Canada applauds Brent Clemmer for his actions to help the Ontario horse-racing industry," said Standardbred Canada CEO John Gallinger. "We encourage anyone that feels the same way to follow Brent's example and contact their local media outlets to help spread the word."

Tags

Comments

Way to go Brent. Maybe he will listen to you- he isn't listening to anybody else!

Thank you Brent for reminding the "grown-ups" in this business how much love the families in racing have for our horses and for our Industry. Proof once again, if we ALL do SOMETHING each day to save racing we can win this fight. Thank you for writing your very important letter.

One brilliant, passionate and classy young man. If you were a racehorse, you'd be in the Preferreds'.

Thank you so much for your posting Mr. Clemmer. At last I have a candidate to introduce my grand daughter to when the time comes. Let me go on record here and thank Mark Zuckenberg also...the first time Facebook has meant ANYTHING to me.

Mr. McGuinty and the liberals have dug themselves a huge hole. Good job Brent Clemmer. Bruce T. Winning

Way to go Brent...this is the spirit we need from our youth that will allow horse racing to flourish. Good job Buddy!

Nice job Brent...This young man is going to be voting in about 8 years & I would bet money on which party HE WON'T BE VOTING FOR..........

well done Brent. You wrote a great letter.Your family must be very proud of you.

Thank you BRENT and please call the tv stations and talk shows in London and Wingam . I have a grandson who plays goal for saugeen shores storm ..he helps with the horses at ray mc lanes place in
Port Elgin....Liam is 8 years old but he said to give you an A + ...Tom kelly

How sweet...hopefully more of the next generation of horse people will jump on the band wagon. We need more publicity.

Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.