2012 OSS Super Finals Set

Published: November 6, 2012 04:13 pm EST

Trainer Carmen Auciello is hoping his Ontario Sires Stakes Super Final starters Goban and Kamkar Kutie are on par for victory this Saturday night at Woodbine Racetrack.

The former avid golfer has three hole-in-ones to his name, but he would gladly trade them all for a trip or two to the winner's circle during the lucrative Super Final program Saturday at the suburban Toronto oval.

Auciello will get his first shot at Super Final glory with the pair of pacers as they get set to contest their respective $300,000 divisional championships.

“Having grown up in Ontario, having horses in the OSS Super Finals is something I have always strived towards,” explained the resident of Stouffville, Ont. “I’m not at the stage in my career where I can set my sights on a Little Brown Jug or a Hambletonian, so for now it’s a Super Final.”

Goban, a three-year-old pacer, and Kamkar Kutie, a two-year-old pacing filly, will look to tee off on their respective rivals this weekend.

The conditioner privately purchased the son of E Dees Cam--Clonlara T in July from trainer/breeder Debi O’Brien Moran, who gives all her homebreds Irish names. Goban is named after a legendary Irish builder and in memory of O’Brien Moran’s stepfather, who passed away three days before the pacer was born.

“I could tell he was still somewhat green, but very fast,” Auciello said about Goban. “We took a shot, and so far it looks like it is going to pay off.”

The sophomore, who is owned by Auciello’s father, Rocco, and Denarben Stables, has crafted a seasonal record of 4-3-2 from 19 starts with $61,485 in 2012 earnings. The bay also carries a 1:49.4 speed badge.

“Goban has shown flashes of brilliance this year, but has been very inconsistent,” Auciello explained. “The fact that he will be facing off against three of the best three-year-olds in North America (Mel Mara, Michaels Power and Warrawee Needy) makes him a huge underdog, but we aren’t going to lay down for them. He is the fastest horse I’ve ever had, and we’re going to go big or go home.”

The gelding’s road to the Super Final hasn't been a Sunday drive. For the first time in his career, Goban flipped his palate during an OSS Gold final on August 4 at Mohawk.

“We struggled trying to get this under control, but his last three starts have been very encouraging,” he noted. “After his latest start at Woodbine (on October 22), I scoped him again because he didn’t finish quite as strong as I thought he would. He definitely didn’t flip his palate, but we elected to put him on Lasix.

“It’s been one thing or another with him for the last two months, but I really think he is finally back to 100 per cent and hopefully ready to dance with the big boys.”

As Goban’s three-year-old campaign begins to wind down, Auciello doesn’t believe the gelding will have any trouble competing against older pacers next year.

“He is big, sound and sensible, but doesn’t carry any more weight than I would like,” he said. “He is really lanky and kind of boney. He reminds me of the equine version of Usain Bolt, minus the ego, of course. He has the speed to pace in the sub-1:49 range, so I can only hope that he matures a little bit and gets a little bit stronger for his four-year-old year.”

In Saturday’s Glamour Boy division, Goban will start from Post 7 for driver Anthony MacDonald.

Kamkar Kutie, named after owner/breeder Jeff Goldenthal’s two children, Kamille and Karsten, is a daughter of No Pan Intended out of Helena Handbag, who the Auciellos also conditioned.

“This filly has all the same attributes that made her mother a nice two and three-year-old: a flawless gait, great conformation, and she doesn’t wear a boot,” said the 32-year-old. “It’s made her a nice little filly this year on the smaller tracks.”

He just hopes Kamkar Kutie, who has yet to break her maiden, will be able to go with Ontario’s top freshman fillies on Woodbine’s seven-eighths oval.

“She has been chasing slightly faster fillies all year long," Auciello said of his pacing miss, who has a $51,700 bankroll, two runner-up finishes and a third-place finish from 13 outings. “She can usually get spotted and live to tell about it at the end of the mile and pick up a good cheque. I know she has the desire to win, and maybe she will show it on Saturday.”

In her last start of the year, Kamkar Kutie will start from Post 4 for driver James MacDonald.

Eight $300,000 OSS Super Finals will be contested on Saturday night, featuring the province’s best two and three-year-old pacers and trotters. Horses competing in the Gold Series Eliminations and Finals throughout the season accumulated points based on performance and the top point earners are eligible to compete in Super Finals.

First-race post time is 7:30 p.m.

To view the harness racing entries for Saturday at Woodbine, click the following link: Saturday Entries - Woodbine Racetrack.

For a free, printable Saturday Woodbine program courtesy of TrackIT, click here.

(WEG)

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.